If you haven’t read the first blog of my “Blame the Accutane” series, I’ve had the past 3 months to trial lotions, chapsticks, oils, and makeup that accomodate the excessively dry skin that Accutane produces. Based on my own trial and error, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite skincare products while being on Accutane.
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser for Dry to Normal Skin is my go-to for face wash! Both CeraVe and Cetaphil have some pretty awesome, gentle + hydrating facial cleansers/washes. I’ll typically wash my face once to get most of my makeup off and wet a washcloth to softly wipe away my leftover makeup. Then, I’ll wash once or twice again to actually clean my face! Depending on your skin’s sensitivity, make sure not to scrub too hard with a washcloth as I’ve heard horror stories of skin literally rubbing off while on Accutane. :’)
- Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ has become a staple in my skincare routine. No greasy feeling, it absorbs quickly, and the bottle itself has lasted me forever. I have well over half left and have been using this for the past 4 months! It may be more costly to invest in, but I promise that all you need is one or two pumps of product to do the trick after each time you wash your face.
- Aquaphor instantly became my best friend. I would HIGHLY suggest getting the tube or tub version, as the lip therapy chapsticks don’t seem to have the same effect. I put a thin layer of this on every 2-3 hours and make sure to slather up before I go to bed. Aquaphor acts as the perfect moisturizer, too! I’ll add a bit of this to my moisturizer before bed for some extra hydration while I sleep. I’ve found that when I do my make up in the morning, I’ll brush my teeth (and lightly brush my lips – they literally have their own toothbrush) and then layer on a thin sheet of Aquaphor before putting on a creamy lipstick. All in all – Aquaphor is an Accutane Holy Grail.
- Dr. Dan’s Cortibalm is literally a sealant to any ripped, chapped, and peeling lips. It has hydrocortisone in it to provide a soothing relief that helps revitalize any chapped lips. Most chapsticks contain chemicals and ingredients that dry your lips out more than hydrate so that you’ll constantly re-apply, finish (let’s be real though, have you ever finished an entire chapstick before losing it?), and buy another one. Do yourself a favor and invest in this stuff. I tend to put Aquaphor on and then a layer of this chapstick and it does wonders!!
- Tarte’s Maracuja Oil creates the perfect glow without leaving you looking and feeling greasy. It’s so versatile, too. I’ll use one pump of my Clinique Moisturizing Lotion and add 1-2 drops of this oil to give my face some extra hydration. When I need even more, 1-2 drops in my favorite liquid foundation gives my face the perfect dewy look and keeps me lookingrefreshed and feeling hydrated all day. PRO TIP: Take an old misting bottle (such as setting spray) and fill it half way with water and add one-two whole droppers of maracuja oil for a hydrating setting spray!!
- WATER!! It may not exactly be a product to go buy (but that’s one of the best parts – it’s free!), but there’s absolutely nothing I recommend more than staying internally hydrated. It’s absolutely crucial for you to be drinking water while taking this powerfully-packed drug. Your body and mind will thank you later if you get in the habit of drinking more liquids (even more than you think you should be)! I’d suggest buying a water bottle with daytime hours or writing your own on it like this one by Three Drops of Life. It’s an awesome reminder to stay hydrated throughout the day rather than chugging a bunch at one time.
The reveiws of these products were entirely honest and in no way endorsed by any brand or third-party seller. If you have any questions about my experience with any of these products throughout my journey on Accutane, please connect with me! 🙂
Comment below telling me what has worked for your dry/sensitive skin, on Accutane or not!